Thursday, August 11, 2011

Why you riding eh?

The red bearded Canadian asked me with a smile as he lounged in his lawn chair drinking a cold beer. His two large well bred German shepherds looked up to me with equally curious eyes, asking if I was crazy or not, or maybe they were just wondering if I would taste good...I'm not sure. The gregarious Canadian had just given us a patch of land to put our tent on his quad trails behind his house and we had been shooting the breeze. The question asked was simple enough. Why have Andrew and I spent our summer biking across the continent? He wasn't the first person to ask us and in all probability he won't be the last.

I gave a list of purposes at the beginning of this little journey that sound really good and are by no means untrue, but as the trip begins to come to an end I think it would be valuable to revisit for a minute. As I've pondered the question I think a deeper purpose of mine has been to meet America. I've lived in the Garden State for most of my life. I have always been plugged into what is happening around me. I keep myself up to date on the goings on of the world, and somewhere over the past 20 odd years I've grown to be a little cynical. I know it is not an admirable trait, but there it is, I had begun to believe that decent human behavior was no longer the norm, but instead a slim minority. I had begun to define my world by what I saw through the media. So I had a decision, do I accept this as an immutable truth or do I go out and see if it's true. Do I take a step way outside of my comfort zone and see what's on the other side of the fence.

This trip took me over the fence and I dare say a little over the horizon and you know what I found?? I found an America that still invites a couple smelly bikers into their homes and gives them something to eat. We have met an America that gives us a smile and a hot dog to keep us going on the road. We have met some of the most amazing people, whether they be entrepreneurs exploiting the liberal drug laws of California, a couple of Harley riders hoping to make a go of it as restaurant owners,  a small Southern Baptist church without a full time pastor trying to make ends meet, or just people out enjoying an evening walk, we have found generosity and a smile.

We have found that America is not at all to be defined by our government or media. America is a country made up of people who love to laugh, give of what they have to help those in need when they see the need, and perhaps most of all America is made up of people who are not to be taken for granted or written off. I do not know what the future holds, I am not naive to think everything is roses and buttercups, but I am coming away from this trip encouraged to know that America is still a place worth defending and being proud of.

Now as to the matter of "Where are you guys?" We are back in the US of A!!! The land of the free and the home of the free soda refill. Canada was a wonderful host, we camped free every night, and they have amazing ice cream =) There were many adventures had in our time there, hitchhiking after breaking the shaft on Andrew's bike, having some of the best Fish n' Chips in the world under a tarp in the pouring rain while talking to a man dressed in all white about economic systems, and of course seeing a play at the Stratford Shakespeare festival. Yes I'd say our brief time in Canada was very nice, very nice indeed, but the wind pushes us homeward and so we most go.

We will be taking Rt 20 east through NY to Rt. 14 south into PA and then take Rt. 6 East again and then make our way south east until we hit the ocean =) When looking at the map we are not far away at all.

Ok, now for pictures =)

This was from Manitoulin Island. Nice place, lots of water everywhere. Going this way between Huron and Georgia Bay saved us a couple hundred miles (very happy day!)

And when we got the end of the island we got to take a ferry. After playing around on the pier and going for a swim, we decided to take the midnight ferry over, on the other side we just put our tent down right next to the ferry. It was a very relaxing ride, through a pitch black night, the stars and moon were mostly covered in clouds.


This is a picture of the Festival Theater in Stratford. We got to see Camelot, it was very good, if you get the chance to see it I highly suggest you take the time.


This is what Southern Ontario looks like away from the industrial centers of the coast lines. Lots of dairy and farm land. 


Oh yeah, we went to Niagara Falls! It was beautiful. We found the surrounding cities to be places to get through as quickly as possible, but the actual falls are truly magnificent!


And so here you find us, around 500 miles left in the trip and none the worse for wear. Andrew and I are still on good terms, even though I'm consistently beating him in pool whenever we take time to stop and play =)

Riding on,
Nate

PS We are well over 2000 views for the blog! Now assuming that half of that is me checking to see if anyone is reading and at least a 1/4 is my family checking to see if we're still alive that means at least a couple people are legitimately following us! =) very exciting. Thank you for taking the time to read, we appreciate it greatly!

* To those new to our journey, 80% of all donations go to Living Water International (www.water.cc)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting, it has been fun following your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breaking a shaft? What shaft?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the new AA+ America- but we're still AAA people.

    How's the duct tape holding up on Andrew's rack after all the miles?

    ReplyDelete